So this summer I think I have read my Bible more than I have in any other season of my life, and I've realized that I really enjoy it. I mean I never DISliked my Bible, but I've never sincerely been excited to go spend time in the Word...I had more of a neutral attitude I think.
Attitudes change. I am just about finished up with a Beth Moore Bible study on the book of James (I missed a couple videos that I need to go back and re-watch.) She puts together some truly stellar studies that get you turning pages through your Bible constantly and reflecting on what God is telling us through it all. One cool thing about Beth Moore is that you do her study and then see how excited she is about it in the videos. She says stuff like "And this is the part where I found myself in tears as I was typing at my keyboard," (she phrases it much more tastefully than I just did.) I usually read this kind of thing, say "Uhh...yeah...," read what it is that she found to be so astonishing, and think "Yeah, I guess that's pretty neat." But I never really get that same kind of "WHOA!" feeling.
This morning I was working on putting together this Bible study for a group I'm going to meet with on Sunday. I ended up somehow being lead through a whole bunch of different verses on the Gospel. I chose to do his part of the study because I had some questions related to the topic and wanted to find answers. I typed out verses I found, kind of connected them to one another, and then this understanding hit me like I can't even explain to you. I had so much joy that I sat by my computer and laughed for a minute. I told God I had no clue what to do because I was so excited. Naturally, I called my Mom and texted Deb to tell them what had happened. And I felt my heart praise the heart of God.
So I have a feeling you all are currently having the "Uhh...yeah..." response I usually give to Beth Moore. I'm ok with that...because here's the thing. I told myself I wouldn't ever be distinguished enough in my Bible knowledge to be able to find the kind of truths that she finds in the Bible. THAT IS SO WRONG! I'm going to be honest. I had never sat down and really sought the truths God wanted to show me. Have you? If so, please tell me about it! If not, please ask God to show you how awesome He is! You won't regret it because God promises He'll come through.
"Ask and it will be given to you. Seek and you will find. Knock and the door will be opened to you." - Matthew 7:7
No comments:
Post a Comment