Okay, I'm not trying to throw people off with this post, but it's not taking place in SL. I'm back home now!
Note: Those familiar with the differences between IA and MN lingo would be able to tell this from my word choice. Had I been in Iowa, I would have called this post "Back to School Sloppy Joes!" or "Back to School Maid Rites!" or "Back to School Taverns!" However, because of my roots and the fact that this event took place in the Great State of Many Lakes, I've chosen to use the proper name of this delicious sandwich.
Last year, the First United Methodist Church served a meal for all of the students, along with their teachers and families, the night of Back-to-School Night at the elementary school. Since our church is across the street from the school, we're in the perfect location! The congregation served a meal again this year, and since I was home, I got to be a part of it!
Some women from the church, Mom and I started browning hamburger and mixing the BBQs a few hours before the event started. (We used a recipe from the Presbyterian cookbook. This could have caused a bit of controversy, seeing as we were in a Methodist kitchen, but thankfully chaos did not break loose.) We had four crock pots and three electric frying pans loaded and ready by the time 4:30 rolled around!
In addition to the BBQs, we had potato chips, apples, carrots, celery, and juice. It was all really good food, but the apples were especially delicious! Good work to whoever found those!
The meal was a great success! We served a total of 250 people, up from 160 last year. We had to make a couple runs to the store for more buns and veggies, but at the end of the night we had exactly the right amount of meat for everyone. People were able to sit and relax together, closing out their summer to begin another school year. I had the chance to catch up with a few former teachers and meet people from a town where I thought I already knew everyone. Great fellowship with my church family and with the whole community!
Although this meal was put on by our church family together, the beautiful woman who is my Mother coordinated it. I have no clue all the things she did before I got there, but she faithfully directed the group in setting up, cooking, serving, and whatever else needed to be done. Yes, God was ultimately in control of the whole thing, but seeing her lead others as she followed the Lord's was a great reminder of how I have been blessed to have a mother who loves the Lord and loves serving Him.
I'm sure many of you have read all of the posts about the things I've done this summer, and they've all been about great things. But throughout ALL of that, Mom has shared wisdom, encouragement, and prayers with me, whether through a phone call, a text, or a long walk together while I was at home. Now, on top of all that, I got to see her lead this group and was reminded of how it is I have been influenced to live the life I do. God picked my Mom out special for me. He placed a woman in my life who I could watch every day as she faithfully and lovingly served Him. He didn't make me play any guessing games about how He would have me live my life. He gave me someone to talk, laugh, love, and live with in my own home. I'm blessed to have this Godly woman as my Mother, and I pretty much love her to pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment